Students in Junior Kindergarten through 2nd read and discussed the Julia Cook story, Thanks for the Feedback, My Story About Accepting Criticism and Compliments …the Right Way! Students learned the appropriate way to give and receive compliments as they role played with one another in class. Students also learned that parents, teachers, and adults provide feedback to help them learn and become successful in life. The steps for receiving feedback from adults are:
- Look at the person, and say his/her name.
- Agree to what is said by nodding and saying, “Okay.”
- Don’t Argue.
- Think about the other person’s point of view.
- Restate what the person said in a positive way. “I will try harder to…”
- Thank the person. “Thanks for talking with me and letting me know.”
- Decide if the information is a KEEPER or a Pitcher.
Here are some wonderful sites to help parents give appropriate feedback to their son/daughter.
“Enjoy your weekend, but more importantly enjoy your child.”